Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanksgiving, B-day

Hallo!
I hope everyone had a happy and safe Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was a little different for me this year. I decided that I couldn't just let the second most important american holiday go by with out any notice, so I made an apple pie from scratch Wednesday evening. It was certainly a learning experience. For one, I didn't have any american measuring cups, so I had to estimate amounts using a coffee cup and serving spoon. Secondly I couldn't find a normal pie tin, so used a glass cake pan. The problem with this was the bottom crust didn't cook. It was certainly the worst pie I've ever eaten, but I think my colleages appreciated the thought.
Thursday evening my roommate Fanny, an aquintance of hers, and I met at the Bonn Christmas market. Unfortuntely it was cold and rainy, but we quickly found a stand with a roof and drank a couple glasses of Glühwein (hot, spiced wine). After being warmed up by the wine, Fanny and I braved the rain for some typical German food. The moral of the story is German Christmas markets are fun.
Friday was my birthday. I decided to take a "Feiernachmittag" and traveled to Wuppertal in the afternoon. Within an hour I entered a winter wonderland. Wuppertal had received about 10 cm of snow Thursday evening and more was predicated. By the end of the weekend there was well over a foot on the ground, the roads were a mess, and much of the public transportation wasn't running. In fact the situation a bit farther north was so bad over 100,000 people were without power. Fortuntely the roads were clear enough that Dorothea, Matthias, Christian, and I made a trek to Duesseldorf to watch the new Harry Potter movie. Other than the 45 minutes of commercials and previews and the break in the middle of the movie, I rather enjoyed it. It was a good adaptation of the book and rather funny, at least in German. Otherwise we had a very quiet weekend sitting around watching the snow fall.
Today I started to program my ethernet module. I sucessfully managed to set the IP address registers using VHDL. If I can successfully read a byte from the FPGA through ethernet, my boss has to buy another round at our lab christmas celebration. The Germans know how to motivate. :-) Sadly this is a little bit more complicated than setting a memory register.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home