Sunday, October 30, 2005

A Beautiful Weekend

Those of us in Germany were given at least one more beautiful weekend. I couldn't have asked for better weather. Sunny, warm (for the end of October), and not too windy. Ausgezeichnet!
Saturday I finally signed my lease contract. I'm glad to have that taken care of, and I'll be even more glad when the landlord finds people for the other two rooms and all the renovations are really, really done. Anyho! That's not so interesting. The important point is I have a place to live for the next nine months.
Last night I traveled to Köln to meet up with a friend of mine. He and I worked together in the digital lab last summer. He currently works in Bavaria and was in Köln visiting friends. It was good to see him again. The rest of the evening was largely hopping from one beer locale to the next. First we met some of his friends at the Opera House. Then we migrated to a very odd, artsy "lounge", and when we had had enough of "high" culture, the two of us wondered over to a party. Nothing terribly exciting really. Just hanging out and drinking Kölsch. A concept familiar to college students. It was also great for me because I was able to speak a lot of German. It helps when the conversation is something other than computers, receivers, and other technobabble.
Tuesday's also a holiday. Some catholic holiday. Nobody I've asked knows what the holiday's for, but the important part is that we don't have to work. Thank God for catholic holidays. :-)
Otherwise I'm looking forward to a quiet evening. I've added some photos to my post about Düsseldorf. Kuck mal!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

The Catholic holiday is All Saint's Day, which is basically when the catholics celebrate all the saints ever. If you're more interested you can google or wikipedia it.

October 30, 2005  
Blogger laura s said...

Thanks Kris.
I did eventually figure it out. In fact I spent the day celebrating St. Koelsch. :-)

November 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home