Sunday, January 01, 2006

Ihr seid gefeuert!

Ihr seid gefeuert! (You're fired!) That's my New Year's in a sentance. But first, the days leading up to New Years.
On Thursday my friend Aaron arrived in Bonn. It was so good to see some one from home and speak Iowan (Iowanisch). Not that I don't speak any English in Germany, but I tend to speak some what slower and clearer because most people here are not native speakers and are more used to the british accent. I'm pretty sure I've spoken more english in the last three days than I have in the last three months. Craziness.
On Friday Aaron and I buzzed around the shopping district and took a joy ride on the subway. That evening we traveled to the airport to pickup Andy. That evening we hit the irish pub and had a late dinner.
On New Year's Eve (Silvester) the three of us headed up to Köln with no real plans. Just seeing where the crowds take us. We silly Americans arrived in Köln way early, and I quickly exhausted my tour guide capabilities because all of the pubs and breweries I know in Köln were either crazy packed or closed. Eventually we made our way into an ice cream cafe. This is where the fun began. We sat next to a family playing a vocabulary game with their 8ish-year-old daughter, which involved thinking of a name for each letter in alphabet within various catagories. Anyho! We started helper her think of things and when we couldn't think of a river that begans with "B", she declared: Ihr seid gefeuert! A totally Trump style "You're fired". It was hilarious. We talked a bit with her mom, and the girl gave each of us a sparkler.
When we were finished there we headed over to one of the bridges. Before I continue I should mention that fireworks are not illegal in Germany. That means throughout the entire night there were people lighting bottle rockets and fire crackers in the streets at random. A little unsettling at first, but we really hadn't seen the true glory of a German Silvester celebration. As midnight approached more and more people, a good fraction of whom were drunk, filled the bridge and the number of fireworks also increased. People simply lighting things and throwing it on the packed streets. Not the safest thing in the world, but we were in Germany, not the US. There were people shooting fireworks off along the Rhine, from the bridge, from everywhere. I really can't describe how cool it was to be completely surrounded by fireworks. They weren't as big as offical 4th of July fireworks, but there were so many, it looked way cooler. I tried to get good photos, but between my camera acting up in the cold and blurriness due to the long exposures, I only got a couple good ones.



Fireworks in the direction of the Dom.



View in the other direction. It's a bit blurry, but you can see all the firework remnants on the ground.




Here I am with my guys.

Around 2 am we caught the train back to Bonn and by 3 am we were back in my nice warm apartment.

I hope everyone had a good celebration. Happy New Year!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most excellent. I had such a great time in Koeln with you and Andy! We should do it again next year!

January 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home