Sunday, August 13, 2006

First day in Ithaca

Greetings from Ithaca!
I've been in my new home for almost one day now, and things are going well. Let me start at the beginning.
Thursday evening I finally ate the Hessen Haus in Des Moines. It's a German restaurant in Des Moines. It was tasty, but sadly not authentic. (Aber es gab Bitburger!!) But they did have Bitburger. I was very excited.
Friday morning I loaded up my car and hit the road. Other than the chaos near Chicago, it was a rather pleasant drive. I spent the first night out somewhere in western Ohio. Yesterday's drive was pretty boring until I reached eastern Pennsylvania. As I was going up a huge hill, I happened to look off to the left to see the sky drop off into a big dark blue pit, and I thought to myself "Boy that's erie...wait. That is Erie!". So I got a couple glimpses of Lake Erie. Then I finally reached New York and became instantly excited. Upstate NY is beautiful. It was a great, although long, drive. Little traffic and amazing scenery. It reminded me alot of Germany (Die Eifel) actually, which of course made me more excited. Around 8 pm I rolled into Ithaca (which is gorgous of course) and managed to find my apartment. I'm really happy with it. It's on the east edge of town next to some fields and a shopping center. The apartment itself is also nice. Hung out with my roommates a bit. They seem cool enough.
Today I met Andy for a tour of the Ithaca farmer's market. Very hippie. Otherwise I've just been doing some unpacking, which I probably should get back to.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ich sehe schon, bei euch geht's auch nur ums Biertrinken. Sag bescheid, wenn Du in Ithaca kein ordentliche Bier findest, dann schicke ich Dir ein Care-Paket mit dem guten Bitburger und leckerem Kölsch.

August 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home