Monday, July 10, 2006

Stuttgart ist viel besser als Berlin!

So today is the first day after the World Cup and amazingly enough, life goes on.
Saturday night was the last showing of the German team in the game for 3rd place against Portugal in Stuttgart. The mood of the fans can best be described with the spontaniously created song: "Stuttgart is much better than Berlin!". Basically from the way the fans were celebrating, especially in the stadium, it may as well have been the final game. In the end Germany won 3-1. It was exciting.
Sunday was of course the final. I wasn't really all that enthused. For me the "WM" ended Saturday, but I figured I'd followed it this long, I probably should watch the final. Like most of the German fans, I was rooting for France since Italy knocked Germany out. Sadly Italy won by one penatly kick after normal play and the 30 minute extension.
After this game I like Italian football even less. I further believe that they play dirty and don't have a level of sportsmanship that one would expect from a bunch of professionals at the biggest sporting event on the planet. But in the end we don't live in a Hollywood-style movie, and sometimes the good guy doesn't win. And as someone likes to remind me, it's only football.
Otherwise things are good. This weekend was great. I grilled twice and got to see a couple friends who I hadn't seen in weeks. Friday I fly to Rome for a long weekend. That should be fun.
Have a good week everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home