Wednesday, June 21, 2006

"Auf geht's Deutschland schiess ein Tor"... or 3

Last night pulled off a strong 3-0 win over Ecuador making Germany the winners of Group A. Sunday the play against the runner-up of Group B, namely Sweden.
During the game yesterday afternoon the country practically came to a halt as everyone crowed around TV's. I watched the first half at work because I had to go to irish dance, but this gave me the chance to see the state of life during the game. In my bank about three people were working and the others were in front of a TV. As I sat on the bus I passed by many Cafe's and Restaurants with people crowed in front of TV's. They even announced Germany's third goal in the bus. The Germans are getting more and more excited with each win. Everyday there are more and more German flags hanging out of house windows and flapping from cars I think it's cool, but many German's think it's crazy or even embarassing. National spirit is one of the clearer differences between Germans and Americans.
There really is more going on here than soccer, but at the moment it's the most exciting thing.
Anyho! Tomorrow the US plays Ghana. Cross your fingers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home