Sunday, March 26, 2006

Warm weekend

That's right. We've finally got some warm weather this weekend. But first I'll start with an update of the week's activities.
Wednesday evening was a friendly game between the German and American national soccer teams. I was totally psyched for the Americans to win so I could give my colleagues a hard time about it the next day. Sadly it was not to be. It didn't take long before I realized the American team was going to have a hard time beating Germany, but at half time the score was 0:0 and I had hope. Sadly 30 seconds into the second half my hopes started to vanish. Within the first 20 minutes of the second half Germany scored 3 goals. Then a fourth. Finally in the last 5 minutes America scored a goal but only because one of the American players crashed into the German goalie and the ball rolled in. Afterward I read that most of the good American players were not there, so we may still have a chance to make it out of the preliminary rounds in the World Cup. Not that Americans actually care about soccer, but it's so much a part of things here, I have to be somewhat into it.
Work actually took a big step forward this week. As you may remember, I've been trying to figure out for weeks now why it is that my FFT makes no sense. Well a post doc who's more or less associated with my lab plotted up my FFT's, and they looked more or less perfect. In the end I finally figured out that it was a problem with data types and lengths and in fact it had been working all this time. Annoying, but at least I understand what's going on.
Like I mentioned, the weather this weekend was great. It was the first truly spring-like weather we've had. It was a little cloudy and rained a bit, but the temperatures reached the lower 60's. Today my roommate and I drove down to the Siebengebirge, which is a smallish mountain range on the east side of the Rhine and a little south of Bonn. We found a pleasant trail that lead to the remains of an old castle on top of one of the mountains. From the "Drachenfels" you could see for miles. We had an amazing view of Bonn and the surrounding area as well as the mountains to the South. I think we could even see the skyline from Köln. It was so good to be outside. Unfortunetly I didn't have my camera with me, but I hope to go back sometime and take some pic's.
Otherwise I'm doing really well. This the last week of vacation. I've enrolled in a extracuricular Irish Dance class for this semester through the University of Bonn. The days are now noticibly longer, and the weather's starting to turn springlike.
Also, for those of you how keep track of such things, we sprang into Daylight Saving Time this week, so it's currently 8 hours between here in Iowa until you also spring ahead.
Anyho! It's getting late. Have a good week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home