Sunday, April 08, 2007

Happy Easter

Happy Easter everyone!
Just a few half-way interesting things to report.
Thursday my little spectrometer arrived from Bonn. This spectrometer is what my work there was leading up to when I ran out of time. I hope to continue to play around with it and connect it to the radio telescope on the roof of SSB just for fun. We're not going to any ground breaking research with it, but I just want the experience of hooking it up to something.
Friday evening I went to the Fuertes Observatory on campus, which is run by the astronomy club, for a very interesting lecture on the Jantar Mantar, giant sun-dial observatories in India. Here's a website about them:

www.jantarmantar.org

Last night I finally saw "The Lives of Others" ("Das Leben der Anderen"). It's a movie out of Germany about the East German secret police spying on its citizens. It's good and even won the foreign film Oscar this year. It's not a happy, uplifting film, but it's a German movie, what do you expect? (Just joking!)
Otherwise after several days of beautiful weather, winter decided to return for one last roar. (Or at least I hope.) We've been below freezing most of the time with flurries on and off. Ah Ithaca. 10 square km surrounded by reality eh? (A popular bumper sticker around here. Just behind "Ithaca is Gorges", "Ithaca is Cold", and "Ithaca is not George's". The other day I even say one the read "Ithaca is bumper stickers". Had to laugh.) I'm not convinced.
Anyho! That's all for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home