Monday, June 09, 2008

Berkeley: Week One

I've been in Berkeley for almost a week now, and what a week it's been.
Tuesday evening I arrived in San Fransisco and took the BART (Bay Area subway) up to Berkeley (on the East Bay). While in the tunnel under the Bay, the conductor told us over the PA that there had been a magnitude 3.9 earthquake in the area and the trains were running at reduced speeds while they checked the status of the tracks. Everythings was of course ok, but it's not what you want to hear while under an enormous body of water.
Wednesday was my first day at work. We met to talk about my project. I met the SETI at home people. The sun was shining, and it was 75 degrees. Thursday there were more meetings. People here like meetings.
My major goal this weekend was to find a bike. As I'm riding three days of RAGBRAI in July, I need something to ride from Ames to Tipton and something to train on in the meantime. So I went to three different bike shops and tried 5 different bikes. Today I bought one and loaded it up with accessories. This afternoon I went on an inaugural ride along the Bay. It was sunny and 75 like it is every day here. Here's my bike and the Bay.



There's San Fransisco covered in its usual fog:




In other news... Clinton has suspended her campaign!! And Germany won its first game of the European Cup against Poland.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tasharoo said...

I love San Francisco! The fog will burn off soon, wear a jacket! There's lots to do! Good Luck at Berkeley!

June 09, 2008  
Blogger Andy Cowan said...

I envy your Berkeley weather. It's 94 in Ithaca right now.

June 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home