Thursday, September 22, 2005

Ramblings

One week from this very minute I'll be sitting in an airplane somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean. It's hard to believe. So much to try and finish before I leave. Such is life.
I'm spending many hours a day trying to finish the cross stich I started the summer after I graduated from high school for my friend Tina. It was supposed to be her wedding present, but it's looking more like a 5-year anniversary present. Oops!
But it does give me time to watch a lot of DS9 while stiching. I'm making my way through the seventh season of DS9, and I must say, it's really good. Yesterday I watched an episode ("The Siege of AR-558") which really stuck out in my mind. At the end there was a big battle with several of the main characters helping battle-worn starfleet officers fight off an attack by the Jem Hadar. It was a pretty typical Star Trek battle with phasers and hand-to-hand fighting, but instead of your usual Wagnerian war music, the soundtrack was a slow, somber, haunting melody. It similar to the movie Platoon which has you watching a grusome battle but what you hear is Barber's "Adagio for Strings". Being pulled one way by an active, horrific visual stimulus and pulled another by calm, simple music is rather unsettling.
Here's my complaint for the day. As some of you may know, the new movie "Serenity" (based of the short-lived TV show "Firefly") opens in the US on the 30th, two days after I leave. Last night I learned that the film doesn't open in Germany until the 24th of November, which is Thanksgiving for us and the day before my birthday. I guess Hollywood decided to send me a birthday present. Arg!
I guess that's all the ramblings I have for tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home